Is Mormonism a Cult?

By Appreciable Goodfaithpoet

There are multiple definitions of the word cult in the Dictionary. Because there are multiple definitions of words, (and we have no way, while speaking, to indicate which definition we are using), people can argue about something and both be 100 percent correct.

There are many people, who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus, that use the word "Cult" to describe religions that are different than their own.

Here is the definition of that word...

Cult

1-A particular system of religious worship, Esp. with reference to it's rites and ceremonies.
2-An instance of great veneration of a person, idea, or thing, Esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: A cult of Napoleon.
3-The object of such devotion.
4-A group or sect bound together by devotion to or veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5-A group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centered around their sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6-A religion that is considered or held to be false or unorthox.

I have realized that as I talk with someone who uses this term to label me, I could say to him, "My friend, we belong to the same cult. The cult of Jesus." According to definition number two, I would be 100 percent correct. This would likely shock my friend and make him extremely angry however, because the only definition of the word cult that he may be aware of, is number six. (Though, if I were to say this, I would be referring to definition number 4.) If a person feels that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints fits definition number 6, I would like to let this person know that I respect the right and privilege that you have to believe that the Mormon Church is a false religion.
--------------------------------

Please feel free to copy and paste this message.
You have my permission to share it.
You can send this message to anyone that you want.

Sincerely,
-Appreciable Goodfaithpoet

No comments: